Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Rosemary Roasted Sweet Potato





You know those days when you get home from a particularly exhausting day at work, you're starving but you really don't feel like cooking a big meal?  On those days you just want something fast and easy. Something warm and yummy...simple and nourishing.  Lately, due to a recent sweet potato addiction, this has been my go to quick snack/small meal solution.

1 large sweet potato
1Tbsp melted butter (or olive oil)
1tsp chopped fresh rosemary*
Sea salt
White pepper

*if this amount of rosemary is too intense for you feel free to reduce it

Preheat oven to 400F. Chop sweet potato into bite sized pieces. Toss with melted butter and chopped Rosemary.  Make sure the sweet potatoes are evenly coated with the butter.  Spread the sweet potatoes in a single layer on a large flat baking sheet and sprinkle with a little sea salt and white pepper. Roast in preheated oven 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through and lightly browned to your liking.

These roasted sweet potatoes are wonderful fresh from the oven and make a great side dish for just about any meal.  The leftovers are equally yummy tossed into a salad the next day for lunch.

Over Christmas my sister-in law knowing of my sweet potato addiction brought me some fresh purple sweet potatoes.  I had never had purple ones before and was excited to try.  They were very good, less sweet that the orange variety in which I normally indulge and possessing a pleasant earthy flavour.  Unfortunately I don't have any photos so you'll just have to trust me when I say they were a beautiful shade of purple which deepened dramatically upon roasting. My teenage son refused to try them because he insisted they looked "evil".  I think he's been reading too many Stephen king novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment